Wildfire Info

Bozeman FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Bozeman, Montana is an exceptional place to live, work and visit. The frequently asked questions below will help you navigate our community resources.

How do I get a passport?

Apply for a passport at the Bozeman Post Office at 2201 Baxter Lane. The office is open Monday - Friday, 9:00am - 2:00pm. Office also provides passport photos. Appointments not required. Please bring a certified birth certificate and two (2) passport sized photos (if not having them taken at the post office). You should receive your passport within 5 - 6 weeks. For more information on applying for a passport, click here. The Post Office can be reached at 406-586-1508.

Where do I get a Marriage License in Bozeman or Gallatin County?

Marriage Licenses can be obtained from the Gallatin County Clerk of District Court located in the Law & Justice Center 615 S. 16th Ave., Bozeman, MT 59715 or 406-582-2165. Licenses are $53 and the Clerk of District Court only accepts cash. Please have two forms on ID on hand.

How do I contact the City of Bozeman Recreation Department?

The recreation department has varied summer and winter activities scheduled for kids to adults. Swimming pool schedules are also available through the recreation department. For more information, contact them at 582-2290 or the Swim Center at 587-4724.

Does Bozeman have a daily newspaper?

Yes, the Bozeman Daily Chronicle is the regional daily newspaper. Other weekly or monthly newspapers include the Belgrade News which services the Belgrade area, the Three Forks Herald which covers Three Forks and Manhattan news and the Livingston Enterprise. You can contact the Bozeman Daily Chronicle's desk at 406-587-4491.

When is Montana State University's Graduation and/or Bozeman High School's Graduation?

MSU graduation is scheduled for early May. Bozeman High School graduation occurs in June. Plan on booking your lodging for MSU graduation at least a couple months in advance as hotels book very early. Other area high schools will have graduation ceremonies from late May through early June. See the Community Events Calendar for specific dates.

How long do I have to live in Montana to gain resident status for in-state tuition at a Montana University or College?

To obtain resident status to pay in-state tuition at a Montana university or college, you need to reside in Montana for 1 year. The beginning date of residency will be judged by the date on your Montana Drivers License or car license both of which need to be changed 90 days after your move. Contact Montana State University for more information.

When does hunting season start?

It depends on the animal and whether you will be bow hunting or rifle hunting. See the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks site for more information. Permits are required for any type of hunting and are available through several local sportsman's stores or at the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks office at 1400 S. 19th, Bozeman, MT 59715 or 406-994-4042.

How much are fishing licenses?

Non-resident fishing licenses are available at varied prices depending on length of validity. Licenses are available at most fishing stores and sports stores. Fisherman are required to by either an in-state or out of state license, along with a conservation license. See the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks site for fishing regulations and updates.

How far is it to area skiing?

Bridger Bowl is located 16 miles North of Bozeman on Hwy 86 and Big Sky Ski Resort is located 45 miles South of Bozeman on Hwy 191 in the town of Big Sky, Montana.

How do I get assistance with a start-up business?

Please visit our Start a Business page to view the many agencies that offer small business help.

Where do I find job listings?

Please visit our Job Listings page to view what jobs are available through Chamber members. There are also several other resources available to you online including the Bozeman Daily Chronicle classified ads, Bozeman Job Service, LC Staffing & Express Employment Pros.

How many cemeteries does Bozeman have?

Three, only two are still currently in use.

When does Yellowstone National Park open and close?

Depending on the weather, Yellowstone usually opens for wheeled vehicle travel starting in late April, opening in sections until Memorial Day weekend, when Yellowstone is completely open. Yellowstone begins closing in late September and closes in sections until early November when the park is completely closed to wheeled vehicles except for the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance. For the winter season, Yellowstone National Park is open from mid-December through mid-April. For specific dates please see the official Yellowstone National Park site.

How far is it to Yellowstone National Park and how do I get there?

Bozeman is located only 90 miles from either the North entrance or the West entrance. To get to the North Entrance through Gardiner, take I-90 to Livingston, and then turn South on Hwy 89. To get to the West Entrance, take Highway 191 through the town of West Yellowstone.

When is the Christmas Stroll?

The Christmas Stroll is always held on the first Saturday of December. For more information go to the Community Events Calendar or contact the Downtown Bozeman Partnership at 586-4008.

When is the Sweet Pea Festival?

The Sweet Pea Festival is always held on the first full weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) of August. For more information visit the Sweet Pea Festival http://www.sweetpeafestival.org or check the Community Events Calendar.

When are the Bozeman Farmer's Markets?

Bozeman has two summer farmer's markets. One runs every Tuesday night from 5 p.m. to 8 pm. and is located at Bogert Park on S. Church Ave. The second one runs every Saturday morning from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds. Please see the Community Events Calendar for dates and contact information. Also, the winter art's market runs in the winter months at the Emerson Cultural Center at 111 S. Grand Ave. Please contact the Emerson at 587-9797 for more information.